Wednesday, December 11, 2013

An unwelcome guest

Hey, today's Jarrell's 25th birthday! But that's not the point of this post.

So, last night I was taking a shower. It was just before midnight, so I was really enjoying getting to unwind under the super-hot water before bedtime. I was washing my face early on in the shower, and when I turned around to shampoo my hair, there was a giant spider hanging about an inch from my face!

I'm actually not afraid of spiders, bugs, or snakes. Give me ample time to observe a critter, and I'll take it down with stealth and not a twinge of fear. I just don't like being taken by surprise. It makes me panic, and I'm not always quick to adapt in such situations. Last night, though, I was lightning quick! I swatted that sucker down into the soapy water and let it drown.

I think it was some variety of daddy long-legs; although, it didn't have the super-long spindly legs and signature round, reddish-brown thorax. May have just been a Midwestern variety--I haven't done much Girl-Scouting-type nature exploration in this area, so I'm not sure what's indigenous and what isn't.

Anywho, I'm glad I didn't encounter the spider with my fingers while I was shampooing my hair. I probably would have fallen down and taken the shower curtain with me on the way.

Oh, the adventures of my life.

--

Today's agenda = finishing out my shift at work, running a few errands with the Kimmy, baking Jarrell some birthday cupcakes, and taking them to work for everyone to enjoy. Then tonight, I'll be making baked BBQ chicken leg quarters, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and probably some steamed spinach, too, just to get it out of my fridge.

I'm sure it'll be a great birthday for Jarrell--heck, any birthday would be nice and relaxing after the huge surprise I gave him on his birthday 2 years ago (a positive pregnancy test)!

More later.

-Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment