Thursday, January 16, 2014

Modern amenities and thankfulness

In response to the recent water crisis surrounding many of my family and friends back home in WV, I wanted to write about being thankful for modern amenities.

On a typical day, I use my cell phone, car, heat or A/C, fan, lamps and overhead lights, computer, printer, washer, dryer, shower, sink, toilet, straightener or blow dryer, TV, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, oven, stove, and so much more. I usually don't give a second thought to any of it--I just use all these things blindly.

Oh, and let's not forget about modern medicine! I don't know how I would survive without my Zyrtec and Flonase.

It's hard to imagine a time where none of this stuff worked as quickly and easily, much less a time where none of it even existed. It's harder still to realize that there are lots of countries and cultures around the world who know these things exist, but have no access or means of affordability for using them.

In a world where we so often take for granted even the most basic things like clean, running water and using an actual toilet, instead of a pit in the dirt, it's not a stretch to see how we are also lacking in the category of thankfulness.

I want to make an effort to be more humble and thankful for the simple things in life that make everyday survival easy, and I challenge you to do the same. If you're reading this, you are blessed. Even at rock bottom, you probably have access to more modern amenities than millions of other people on this planet.

Food for thought.

More later.

-Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment